Monday 20 October 2014

Typography: Phillipe Apeloig

I recently discovered Phillipe Apeloig's work when researching into alternative typography design, following my interest in spacial awareness and hand lettering.  Apeloig is part of the Nouvelle Noire type design and development studio, based in Zurich.

A recent exhibition of his work, Typorama, showcased over 30 years worth of his typographic designs including work for books, posters, and animation.  Although I would've liked to go, there are a few images I've found online - credit to Prisca Martaguet.





His work is experimental, pushing the limits as to what he can create playing with the legibility of the letterforms, and often uses individual shapes to construct his typographic forms.  This minimal approach to type design reminds me of some work I produced in first year and fits with my continual growing interest in typography and architecture.  The rigid structure of each letterform in these typefaces is contemporary and reflects the modernised design of many goods in todays digitally focused society.

I've included some pieces of his I particularly like below:








Because the text is large and leaves minimal negative space, the photograph is more distinguishable and works well as a combination of type and image.  Similarly with the poster below, however the photographs have been manipulated to show the most important parts to represent the photo.





I also found an animated typeface construction by Apeloig here : http://www.apeloig.com/typographie.php?cle=Aleph&p=01.swf 

Would like to try something similar out with video graphics using a typeface I've designed, representing the movement of handwritten letterforms.


Apeloig has also produced a lot of branding that primarily use typography for logotypes and identity, which I can relate to my own practice following my passion for the design of letterforms and shapes integrating and working within the boundaries of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment