Monday 21 October 2013

OUGD403 (Brief 3) - Alphabet Soup: Typeface

Our next brief is to design a typeface which represents the personality of our partner. To do this we asked each other questions to find out a bit more about them...




When are you happiest? when everything is clean OR eating biscuits with a cup of tea
What is your greatest fear? dropping other half of a biscuit in cup of tea
Where is your favourite place in the world? bed
What is your earliest memory? trying beer and hating it
What is your most embarrassing moment? being dumped in front of friends
What makes you unhappy? cats - apart from his grandma's
What is your dream job? graphic designer: branding
Who would play you in the film of your life? The rock - dwayne johnson
What is your favourite smell? puppies
What is your favourite word? urban
What would be your fancy dress costume of choice? predator with 'crazy lazers and all that'
What is your guiltiest pleasure? feeding tortoise and good pens
How do you relax? play music really loud until things shake
If you could edit your past, what would you change? take out being lazy at school


Some answers Elliott gave me included his favourite word being 'urban' and that he's happiest when everything is cleaned. His favourite way to relax is to play music really loud - "to the point where things shake". 


I also asked some separate questions including his favourite colour, number, letter, font, and shape.  From all of his answers I came up with several words relating to his personality: tough, sturdy, structure, straight, bold, soft, tidy, clean, neat, calm, lazy, fun, organised.

Quite a few of these are contradicting words such as 'tough' and 'soft'.


________________________________


After sketching out a few ideas for letterforms from the words I have associated with Elliott, I looked at the fonts in the Adobe font file and these were the ones that stood out to me most as being similar to my impression of Elliott's personality. 





I have asked Elliott which of these fonts is his favourite, answering with 'Antique Olive Bold'.  He dislikes 'Helvetica Rounded' compared with the original Helvetica which to me is quite contrasting to the information I have found out about him already.  

From now on I am going to go with straight edged sans-serif fonts to add to the his interests in structure and the word 'urban' which in my eyes I link together as cities and buildings.  I have decided to scrap the idea of relating my typeface to his handwriting as it doesn't seem to reflect his interests or personality as much as I thought it would.


Tuesday 22nd

After trying to decide on my starting point typeface I began to think whether I had enough information about Elliott's life and personality to choose a suitable font.

Although Elliott said he liked the font Antique Olive I'm not sure whether this is the direction I want to go in when portraying his personality.  

I need to talk to Elliott again to find out some further information about my partner.




I found this page in 'Thinking with Type' which shows examples from students of Maryland Institute College of Art.  I like the block, grid style shape of the letters including the gaps in the top typeface - although it breaks up the letterforms they still stand looking strong and bold.  I also like the bottom typeface as it seems compressed/shortened which could be something to consider for my typeface as Elliott's personality and interests seem to reflect boldness, but his handwriting is quite the opposite, looking shortened and compressed.

I also came across this font on www.dafont.com which I think is a good starting point to manipulate and create my own typeface for Elliott:









I like this font because it's neat and organised (as is Elliott) and I like that all the lines are either vertical or horizontal.  It also seems to have a large x-height which coincides with Elliott's handwriting where his ascenders and descenders are quite short.  Also note that there is no terminal on the 'q' as there is in a lot of typefaces.


Friday 25th

As most of my designs so far have been related to straight, sturdy, structures that are neat/tidy and bold I began to refer to buildings as Elliott loves Grand Designs and sans serif, clean, bold typefaces which in my opinion could represent modern structures such as buildings.

"Ha well I really love old buildings and also buildings that use modern style! But also most grand design buildings are amazing most recent one was one in Yorkshire which was a old cinema house" - Elliott




I have taken some photos of buildings around Leeds that follow the grid-like structure of digital typefaces using only straight edges.

The only exception is the church which has some diagonal structure lines creating several different angles such as the acute angle of the spire.



























I followed up on Elliott's interest in Grand Designs and looked at their most recent renovation on a 1920s cinema house.





http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2402218/Grand-Designs-South-Yorkshire-1920s-cinema-transformed-family-home.html



















I have decided not to create an uppercase typeface for this font because Elliott's handwriting is quite petit and timid-looking, and although uppercase would look good I am sticking with lowercase to match a part of his personality (which comes across in his handwriting).  I have decided not to use the font with gaps between letters as in 'squared display' because the gaps don't represent a strong structure.  I want to stick with a digitised looking font to reinforce sturdiness and boldness.  To do this I want to take one of my designed typefaces and make the stroke width thicker to increase boldness.


Friday 1st November - Final Critique

This crit consisted of about 30 students presenting their work for 2 minutes in front of the rest of us.  I thought this was a good way to showcase what we had done and get constructive feedback on our final typeface. 

No comments:

Post a Comment